Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Hello From Bethlehem!

Hello from Israel!
Pastor Kris here, sending you greetings from the Holy Land. Well, I was there a couple days ago anyway. I'm actually en route back home and waiting in an airport at the moment. Finally a chance to stop and share a few pictures! After our summit with Bible Societies from all over the world in Athens, we found tickets to Israel for just $57. That was a deal we couldn't pass up! Joining me for the trip were TTW's Executive Director, Ryan McCarter, and our Social Media Director (and my beautiful wife of 22 years), Andrea Langham. For Andrea and I, it was our first trip to Israel, and what a trip! We could only stay three days, so we packed in quite a trip! Here's a few pics from our adventures. I have so many more! I'll try to post some more and tell more stories soon. Hope you enjoy!
 - Pastor Kris

Arriving in Tel Aviv! That's me on the left, then Andrea and Ryan.
Ready for adventure!
And adventure found us! This is the doorway to Bread of Life Church
in Bethlehem, in the West Bank, just two blocks from the church of the Nativity.
That's right - West Bank. We got to know the pastor and his amazing family
 - Palestinian Christians living in one of the most challenging places you can imagine,
and shining a light for God for Palestinians and Israelites alike.
The Palestinian situation is quite complex, and I believe most Christians in America
judge the situation without really understanding either the history or the present situation
here. For starters, many of those Palestinian people are Christians. Their hospitality
to us was amazing, and they send greetings to believers all over the world.
Ryan and I outside the caves at Qumran,
where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered.
I don't remember why I made that face,
but I do remember it was hot!
At the Jordan River - at the place where they say Jesus was baptized.
Is it the exact location? Hard to say. In Israel, you have to get over the
desire to know precise locations where every last thing happened.
 The Jordan river runs from Galilee to the Dead Sea, and the Bible doesn't
give an exact location - for this and many other events.




This is the the remains of a 1st century synagogue in Magdala,
just steps from the Sea of Galilee. Jesus almost certainly would
have opened the Torah scrolls here and preached the good news!


Inside the castle of Herod the Great in Jerusalem - Ryan, Andrea,
and our intrepid guide, Pastor Fadi. 
Saw this fellow walking the Via Dolorosa. This was a surprisingly
clear spot. Much of the path that (they say) Jesus walked is both packed with
tourists and lined with souvenir vendors.
This olive grove is on the Mount of Olives at the Garden of
Gethsemane - just across the Kirdon Valley from Jerusalem.
 This was one of my favorite places to visit.
This boat took us across the Sea of Galilee. More the size of a lake -
 it was much more beautiful than I expected.
Something about this sign just struck me as funny. I love explaining!
It was posted outside the chapel built on the shore of Galilee
at the place where they say Jesus met the disciples in John 21 -
after His resurrection - where He called Peter to "Feed my sheep."

50 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Pastor Kris! AMAZING! Rebecca Turner, QLD, AUSTRALIA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! Thanks, Pastor Kris. And love TTW! Keep on explaining ;). You're one of the best 'explainers' I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing pics from your amazing trip what a blessing it would be to be in the holy land. I am so grateful I discovered the ttw .thanks again. Hope you guys have a amazing 4th and I am so hungry for the word now since I have started doing bible studies on the. It's absolutely amazing best one I have found

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the details of your beautiful trip to the holy Land Esther Padmaja, India

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to Isreal in Dec. what type of clothing should I pack. i understand there Dec weather is not like ours is the US

      Delete
  5. My first day in the app and I found your blog! God bless you and the others at TTW. ~Theresa Baethke Phoenix AZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pictures. How awesome to walk on the ground where Jesus walked

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures thanks for taking the time and explaining the places must go sometime have a safe trip home.
    Colin, Compass Braille

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pastor Kris, wonderful to see these historical sights in Israel! I’m so happy to have found TTW, and can’t start my day without it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great experience that must have been, thank you for sharing!

    - Mike

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing!! Can't say I'm not a little jealous😁 Thank you and the TTW team for the great work y'all are sharing/doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Pastor Kris for sharing. Some day I would love to travel there to see the Jordan river.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy for you that you were able to go. Love TTW, I forward each lesson with my son daily. Keep up the great teaching it’s a great gift from God. ..Laurie from Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found your app after going through a devotional on uversion. So glad I found your app. You are truly a blessing. Thanks for taking us along on your trip to the holyland.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Your Ap God Be with You wish you had dvds for Community gatherings I love your family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man thats my dream to go there see things where jesus got baptized...just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sign for you — Please Explain! Thanks for sharing. And yes, you’re a good explainer! From Norman, OK!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing! Some close friends just spent a month over there and we spent an afternoon looking at all thier pictures and explainations.. so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wish I were there. Thanks to you all for making it real.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing with us.I've seen some of those places and I have so many pictures. Unfortunately for me I didn't label them because I had an old school camera with rolls of film. Lol. But of it all, the Garden of Gethsemane was my favorite place. Glad you went and enjoyed. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We were there in May, what an incredible experience! We did a trip with Brad Grey in walking the text.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So thankful to have found TTW and your pictures from the Holy Land. I hope to go myself some day and get baptized in the Jordan River!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for posting pics from the Holy Land. I hope to go one day myself and get baptized in the Jordan River. I just recently discovered TTW and enjoy it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so Blessed with the TTW I listen every morning. Thanks for sharing these photos too and some infos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so Blessed with the TTW I listen every morning. Thanks for sharing these photos too and some infos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so Blessed with the TTW I listen every morning. Thanks for sharing these photos too and some infos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you pastor Kris for shearing your wonderful experience in the holy Land I wish to be with you some day Peter ogwuche Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you pastor Kris for sharing your experience in the holy Land may God bless you and your family i wish to be with you some day Peter ogwuche Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Mr Kris for the good work you are doing may God continue to lead you through in Jesus name Peter ogwuche Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Mr Kris for the good work you are doing may God continue to lead you through in Jesus name Peter ogwuche Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing your experience. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Came across the through the word app WOW am I blessed keep up the good work be blessed Pastor Kris and team

    ReplyDelete
  32. Came across the through the word app WOW am I blessed keep up the good work be blessed Pastor Kris and team

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE LOVE LOVE these pics!!! Thank you so very much for sharing them 💙
    Looks like you all had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for sharing your experience with us listeners! Looks like it was an amazing trip! I'm so thankful for the connections y'all got to make in getting the app going in other languages. God is so awesome! I prayed and continue to pray for each of you every day. I am so blessed listening to your teachings of the Word daily. I appreciate all the hard work all of you do to keep the app going, your teachings, etc... So, thank you so much. And thank you for the Through the Word sticker I received! It's on my laptop. Keep up the great work! God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love ttw 💙 Thanks for the teaching, You guys are amazing . God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for sharing so clearly. It looks amazing. I hope to go there one day

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for sharing.. Perhaps one day my family and I will be able to get there, can't afford that right now. Anyway, awesome pics, my mom went last year with people from her church, saw alot of pics from her too, God bless! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for sharing, awesome. God bless. I really enjoy your studies Through the Word. Perhaps one day my family and I will be able to go there to Israel, we just can't afford it right now. Anyway, take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  39. My first day using TTW. How wonderful to see these pics and be given such a good explanation of what I am seeing. Thank you and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful pics. Thank you for sharing some of your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. How breathtaking... to walk where Jesus walked, to see these places from the Word! Thanks so much for sharing these pics. I really want to go to these places and sing praises to the Lord there in song! I can't imagine the feeling I would have... I pray I *will* have!
    God bless you and all at TTW, Pastor Kris. What a glorious thing to offer the Lord with this amazing app! Using the Internet for such good in these times is extra-awesome!!
    Safe travels, and thanks a million for all your 'splainin!
    Peace and love in Christ Jesus,
    Kate Russo Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you for everything I really appreciate the pictures and the app. Love you

    ReplyDelete