Tuesday, July 17, 2018

PrimeDay: Good & Bad Reasons to Shop

Hello TTW Friends!
Today is Prime Day, which means that Amazon is posting lots of deals to encourage us all to buy more stuff! And if you shop through Amazon Smile, you can support Through the Word and lots of other great charities. That's pretty awesome - but it should also be balanced with a little perspective. First of all, please don't buy more stuff just to get that donation going. That's a bad reason to shop. In all things, we should always be wise stewards with the money that God has entrusted to us. Shopping is not inherently good or bad of course, and neither is money. They are part of life. But we are called to handle our money, and our shopping, with wisdom. So here are some good and bad reasons to shop today:

Good Reason to Shop: "I need a new watch - my old one broke. It's on a great sale, the reviews are solid, and if I open to smile.amazon.com and enter Through the Word Inc as my charity, they get half a percent. I'm buying it anyway, so why not help TTW?"

Bad Reason to Shop: "I don't need another gorilla costume for my toy poodle, he already has seven. But hey, if I buy today, it helps TTW!"

Reality Check: TTW gets half a percent of your purchase price if you designate us. That means a $100 purchase gives us 50 cents. It's a nice little bonus, and it adds up eventually, but it is by no means a reason to do any unnecessary shopping.

So please be wise with your money and your shopping. If you're already shopping on Amazon, just remember to open to smile.amazon.com and designate Through the Word as  your charity before you buy (it only works if you open that page every time!). If you don't need to do any shopping, good for you! I have to admit I was a little hesitant about signing TTW up on Amazon Smile, because I don't want our dear listeners to get coerced into any unnecessary purchases. But of course, you can make your own decisions. So be wise, shop smart, and store your real treasures in Heaven! "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

In Christ,
Pastor Kris = ]

1 comment:

  1. I signed up a few weeks ago. :-)
    Thanks for all you do!
    In Christ,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete