Tuesday, October 26, 2021

A Prayer Request for TTW

Hello TTW family! I hope you are doing well this final week of October, and have stashed enough Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to last you until Christmas. 

This week, the team from Through the Word will be gathering in the San Bernandino Mountains in California for a few days--planning the future of Through the Word. Our goals include planning future audio guides, features, and a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff as well. Last year's planning meeting resulted in amazing growth for the team and saw the beginning of our podcast and Through the Word Together, coming soon. 

So would you join us in prayer for the coming week? 

Vanity and Glory

Hannah from Australia writes:

Three years ago, just after I was married, I became sick with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I used to find joy and meaning in doing things for God and others, including serving at church and in small Bible study groups. But my illness had taken all that from me - both church and Bible study became too hard for me to attend. 

One of my friends mentioned her church was listening to Through The Word, so I gave it a go. I found, in God’s kindness, that listening to the Bible was much easier for my energy than reading it. I could also listen to the app in bed, when I found it too hard to get up. It also gave structure and meaning to my day - when I couldn’t work, or do much at all, I could always listen to the Bible and pray. And over time, God changed my heart - spending time in His Word became the highlight of my day, and an absolute joy to do. 

I am so thankful that, in the past year especially, God has answered my prayers for healing.  I am now back at work part-time, and was able to join a Bible study group again last year. My life’s schedule is slowly filling up again, but spending meaningful, personal time with God (including reflection and application), remains my priority. I still listen to Through The Word, and it continues to be a highlight of my day. I just finished Kris’ series on Ecclesiastes, which was especially helpful for me - I used to find it a confusing and confronting book, but Kris’ teaching, and my newfound maturity, made it speak to me in new ways: I used to count many earthly things as “gain”, like my success in the workplace, academic achievements, and so on. But, through my illness, God has humbled me and reminded me of what is vanity, versus what is glorious - what has substance; what lasts. I try to no longer place my value on what I do, but rather on what Jesus has done for me. This will be a lifelong struggle, but God’s word encourages me to keep running the race, and to “finish well”!

God Bless You!

Jonathan Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment